Search through today's Most Popular authors, titles and publishers.
Add as many books as you'd like to your sample shelf.
Each day, you'll receive the next sample on your shelf by email.
eBook Kindle Edition
384 pages of shocking information on how the cost of health care for baby boomers is about to spiral toward the total collapse of the American economy. Because the politicians are clueless on how to stop the wasteful spending, the cost of Medicare will reach a staggering $30 trillion in ten years when 30% of the population will be receiving Medicare benefits. This book exposes the government's plan to let the old folks die of treatable diseases and injuries with "end of life counseling" to become a society that kills off its grandparents to survive. This book offers much better options.
The current state of health care is in shambles with doctors and nurses accidentally killing more patients than most of the diseases they are treating. The new law has failed to protect the public with patient safety standards, and will soon head us toward a condition of total financial collapse and chaos with thousands of hospitals and clinics closed down and millions of people dying of treatable diseases.
Therefore, to avert this inevitable disaster this book proposes both political and personal solutions such as legislating patient safety standards and staying off the “who shall die” lists with interventions for prevention. Once the Government moves us into a single payer system it will have only one choice to save itself from disintegration; to keep spiraling health care costs under control by preventing the old and disabled from receiving expensive life-saving hospital care. Thus the health care industry, which already has an oversight system in place for pre-authorization of high-priced medical services, supplies, equipment and drugs, will provide only to government-approved recipients after the panels of bureaucrats make their decision on who shall live and who shall die.
There is no question that we have been lied to and victimized in what is probably the greatest scam in history. But it didn’t just start with Obama’s election and the passing of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010; it started decades ago with the advent of the health maintenance organization that forever changed the face of medical practice and health care delivery in the United States.
The Third Biggest Lie
We used to say the two biggest lies are “The check is in the mail” and “It won’t hurt a bit.” Now, there is a third biggest lie, which is, “We have the best health care system in the world,” as Bill Clinton, George Bush and Barak Obama have uttered repeatedly during their respective terms. On the other hand, all of the standard measures of health care quality points to ours as being “the best substandard price-gouging health care system in the world”. One such measure is a comparison of cost and longevity . For example, Americans live an average of 77 years at a cost of $4,800 per person per year, while Spain, Canada and Japan respectively have life span-to-cost ratios of 79 years at $1,100, 81.5 years at $2,100, and 81 years at $2,000.
What's Really Wrong with Health Care
Some of the problems with U.S. health care delivery as many other experts have also pointed out are as follows:
1. Hospitals, nursing homes and clinics are unsafe with medical and nursing negligence being the fifth largest cause of death in the United States.
2. Lack of access with 76 million uninsured (adding illegal aliens) and 106 million underinsured;
3. Out of control costs with health care being 16% of gross domestic product (GDP) at $1 trillion which is a 250% increase over the last 25 years;
4. Price gouging, with hospitals and doctors charging uninsured patients 1000% more than they accept from third party payers;
5. HMO premium price gouging with high deductibles charging 300% more for individuals who purchase directly rather than through a group;
6. Health care corporations are guilty of bilking billions of dollars from tax payers with fraudulent billing practices;
7. Doctors perform unnecessary surgery with bogus diagnoses;
8. H.M.O. members have to call for approval before going to emergency rooms with call centers outsourced to non-professional personnel in India and other countries;
9. Administrative cost of DRG’s and CPT codes is $375 billion per year – 25% of total health care expenditures;
10. Pharmaceutical companies obtain FDA approval for toxic drugs by paying large research grants to medical research facilities to achieve favorable results;
11. Pharmaceutical companies pay bribes to physicians to prescribe their over-priced toxic drugs with tens of thousands falling prey to side effects causing injury and death.
This short list of scams and rackets is really the largest, most harmful and costly criminal conspiracy in history. The perpetrators include HMO’s, pharmaceutical companies, hospital and physician groups and politicians. Additionally, with the political corruption achieved through expensive lobbying to defeat all attempts to impose regulatory standards, we can see why we pay such exorbitant prices for such shabby health care.
Thanks for reading! Join BookDaily now and receive featured titles to sample for free by email.
Reading a book excerpt is the best way to evaluate it before you spend your time or money.
Just enter your email address and password below to get started:
Instant Bonus: Get immediate access to a daily updated listing of free ebooks from Amazon when you confirm your account!
I am a published author, lecturer and internationally known expert in the prevention of medical errors. I have worked for two decades as a consultant to attorneys in cases where hospitals have been accused of preventable errors. My nursing qualifications and training include: * Brandman University, Irvine, California - Doctoral Candidate for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree * New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York - Master of Public Health in General Public Health * S.U.N.Y. Empire State College, White Plains, New York BS - Community Health Nursing * Orange County Community College, Middletown, New York - Associate in Applied Science - Nursing. My work experience includes a variety of nursing and medical positions held over 35 years: * Nurse Consultant * Emergency Room Nurse * Wound Care Consultant * Adjunct Instructor * Quality Consultant * Nurse Educator * Nursing Supervisor * C.E.O. Home Care Company * Director of Clinical Operations * Vice President - Medical Operations * Critical Care Nurse * Expert Witness * Public Health Consultant * Patient Safety Consultant